Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pets in our lives

We have pets because we love animals. They are fun, entertaining, and loving. Often when people decide to take home a pet they are impulsive and only focused on how cute and cuddly the baby animal is. We don't usually think of the other end of the life cycle. It is amazing how attached and accustom we become in a short period of time.
I am very much emotional about animals, they don't even have to be mine (but when they are it is much worse!). I was at a friends house last friday, I met her two cats Blue and Sally. Both very sweet and laid back felines. Her kids haul them around and they don't mind at all.
My friend sent me a text msg today, Sally got sick. They took her to the vet on Monday and found out her liver was infected and failing. The vet kept her overnight but she had not improved, only worse then before. So they decided to put her down. I called my friend right away, she was still at the vet. I offered to be there with her so she didn't have to do it alone. I was just thinking of supporting her and how I wouldn't be able to do something like that by myself. I hope I never have to. It was so sad. I almost cried as much as she did. I hate to think what it will be like when we lose one of our cats. And yet, I can't imagine not having them here, they are a part of our family. I can only hope they live long healthy lives and pass naturally so we never have to make the decision of when to end a life.
Sorry to be so depressing folks!
I need a cookie now....

2 comments:

Emily Marie said...

Oh I am sorry you had a sad day! Yes go eat a cookie!

nAnnie Laurie said...

Oh I know just how you feel -- you are such a good friend. I'll eat a cookie for you, too, dear ;)